Living Assistance Disability Insurance is different from other types of Disability Insurance. This kind of coverage provides for the costs associated with the having professional healthcare assistance at home while recovering from an injury or disorder.
- When an illness or injury leaves someone not only unable to work, but unable to perform daily activities without assistance, the spouse or other family members very often take on the burden of care.
- This not only taxes the spouse/family member, but can further impact family finances if the spouse/family member has to take time off work to provide the needed care.
Forty percent of the roughly 12.8 million Americans that need assistance with every day activities are working age adults between 18 and 64.
Consider the following 2008 average costs:
- Average cost for a home healthcare aide: $29/hr
- Average cost for care in an Adult Health Care Center: $59/day
- Average cost for a semi-private room in an extended care recovery facility: $209/day
One common misperception is that costs for extended rehabilitation (home-based or otherwise) will be covered by Medicare.
Consider the following:
|Living Assistance||Medicare||Private Medigap Insurance||Medicaid||You Pay|
|Home Health Care||Limited to reasonable, necessary part-time or intermittent skilled nursing care and home health aide services, and some therapies that are ordered by your doctor and provided by Medicare-certified home health agency. Does not pay for on-going personal care or custodial care needs only (help with activities of daily living).||Not covered||Pay for, but states have option to limit some services, such as therapy||You pay on your own for personal or custodial care, except as noted under Medicaid, if you are eligible.|
|Extended Rehab Facility||Pays in full for days 0-20 if you are in a Skilled Rehab Facility following a recent hospital stay. If your need for skilled care continues, may pay for the difference between your co-payment of $133.50/day for days 21-100. After day 100 does not pay.||May cover the $133.50/day co-payment if your nursing home stay meets all other Medicare requirements.||May pay for care in a Medicaid-certified nursing home if you meet functional and financial eligibility criteria.||If you need only personal or supervisory care in a rehab facility and/or have not had a prior hospital stay, or if you choose a rehab facility that does not participate in Medicaid or is not Medicare-certified.|
|Adult Day Services||Not covered||Not Covered||Varies by state, financial and functional eligibility required||You pay on your own [except as noted under Medicaid if eligible.]|
- With Living Assistance Disability Insurance, the cost for professional home care or similar services can be at least partially covered.
- This very affordable type of Disability Insurance can also be written to cover expenses related to living assistance care received in a rehabilitation facility.
Create Your Living Assistance Disability Insurance Policy Today
If you are considering Living Assistance Disability Insurance we can answer your questions and customize a policy for you. to be contact by an experienced advisor, please fill out our Contact Form or call us at (800) 788-8921.